Project Management Apprenticeship Program
The Project Management Apprenticeship Program (PMAP) is in its seventh year of helping fast track a cohort of elite, PM-focused students to have a career in project management.
This year’s program will feature bi-weekly check-ins for mentees and mentors; bi-monthly meetups to foster networking amongst mentees and mentors; and study sessions that will be led by a subject matter expert of the Certified Associate of Project Management (CAPM) exam. Mentees will be assigned to a portfolio within the Canadian West Coast Chapter (CWCC) to gain volunteering experience and exposure to Chapter activities. Mentors can earn PDUs while mentoring.
The 2021 cohort will run between May 2021 and November 2021. We will be accepting mentee and mentor applications between March 15, 2021 and April 16, 2021.
Here are the major events that we have planned for this year:
- May 20, 2021 (05:30 – 7:30 PM) Orientation & Icebreaker
- June 03, 2021 (05:30 – 7:30 PM) Kahoot Engagement Session / Group Discussion
- July 15, 2021 (05:30 – 7:30 PM) Virtual Networking Event
- August 19, 2021 (05:30 – 07:30 PM) Feedback Session
- October 07, 2021 (05:30 – 07:30 PM) Mock CAPM Exam
- November 04, 2021 (5:30 – 7:30 PM) PMAP Completion Celebration
What does the program provide?
1. Get a Mentor
Wise words and war stories are needed to bridge the gap from theory to practice. Mentees will meet twice a month with their mentors throughout the program to learn about the field of project management.
2. Get Involved
To become part of the PM community, one has to actively give back. PMAP students will be working with the PMI CWCC portfolios to gain project management experience while receiving guidance from their mentors.
3. Get Noticed
Time to leave campus and get noticed! Mentees will be given exclusive access to PMI monthly dinners and professional conferences. These events will be an ideal opportunity for participants to build their network, be exposed to various job opportunities, and become educated on important issues through TED Talk-style presentations.
4. Get Certified
PMAP provides its mentees with the opportunity to be CAPM certified - a highly valued accreditation that provides them with an edge in the job market. Weekly study sessions to help you prepare for the CAPM exam run from the beginning of June to the end of August. Each week, our CAPM Exam Preparation Lead will go through select PMBOK topics and provide tips and tricks to help you pass the exam!
Mentees will be reimbursed CAPM exam fees subject to passing.
What does the program provide for mentors?
PMAP is a rewarding experience where you give back to the project management community by mentoring a PM focused student. Give wise words and war stories to bridge the gap from theory to practice. While you mentor, you can also earn up to 12 PDUs on all three pillars of the PMI Talent Triangle.
What you earn will be subject to the number of hours you meet-up with your mentee and the dialogue’s topic.
What are the requirements to join the program?
- Be currently enrolled or just graduated from in a post-secondary institution. We welcome both part-time and full-time students.
- Be currently enrolled in a project management course or have recently completed a project management course that’s at least 23-hours in length
- Be available to commit 10 to 20 hours a month (~2.5 to 5 hours a week) between May 2021 and November 2021
- Be a student member of PMI and PMI CWCC
- Tell us a bit about yourself through our application form – we want to get to know you better so we can pair you with your ideal mentor
- Be a certified PMP, PfMP, PgMP, PMI-PBA, PMI-ACP, PMI-SP, or PMI-RMP; or have three years of project experience under your belt
- Be available to commit 2.5 hours a month between May 2021 and November 2021
- Be willing to share your project experiences – the successes and the pitfalls
- Tell us a bit about yourself through our application form – we want to get to know you better so we can pair you with your ideal mentee
Please be advised that a maximum of 8 mentees and 8 mentors will be accepted for the 2021 cohort to ensure a quality program.
Alain Arostique, Director
Alain graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering Degree and holds a Graduate Certificate in Project Management (for Technical Professionals) from Ryerson University, Toronto. He has been working in the Project Management field for more than 12 years as a Project Manager and a certified Project Management Professional (PMP). Alain, who’s also a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Professional and LEED Green Associate is currently working as part of the Project Management team in one of Vancouver’s leading construction firms.
Divya Malik, Director
Divya is a Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) with 11 years of working experience in Project Management for Finance, Insurance & Visa Services Industry and has completed Masters in Finance. Divya is currently working as a Project Manager with VFS Global, manages a team of 9 and provides support across several business lines. Divya served as one of the mentors in PMAP’s 2019 program.
Navkiran Tamna, Director
Nav joined the PMI Canadian West Coast Chapter in 2019 through the Project Management Apprenticeship Program (PMAP) as a mentee and completed the program with CAPM Certification on hand. Nav completed his Post-Degree Diploma in Project Management in 2019 and also holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering. While working as a Customer Care Ambassador at YVR Airport, recently, Nav also started working as a Student Assistant - Project Coordinator at Douglas College for a project involved in the healthcare industry. Nav also worked as a Proposal Coordinator for a Construction Firm. He started volunteering at Project Management Student Association of Douglas College as a CAPM Tutor to assist fellow students pass Project Management certifications.
Mitchell Wong, Director
Mitchell earned his BBA from the Beedie School of Business studying management information systems, operations management, and business analytics. He was an avid case competitor in the realms of business analytics, marketing, and entrepreneurship, and has earned accolades including 1st place in the business division of the 2018 VanSASH Vancouver Whitecaps Datathon. He now works with WorkSafeBC as a Business Support Analyst.
How do I apply to become a mentee or mentor?
Applications are now open until April 16, 2021! Students, click here to become a mentee.
PM Professionals, click here to become a mentor.
If you have any questions regarding the program, you can contact the PMAP Directors at email@example.com