Project Management Apprenticeship Program
Quick linksAnnual Conference Sponsorship
Quick linksAnnual Conference Sponsorship
The Project Management Apprenticeship Program (PMAP) is in its ninth year of helping fast-track a cohort of elite, PM-focused students to have a career in project management. The 2023 cohort will introduce an opportunity for seasoned Project Managers on the PMP track to take the next step in their PM journey.
This year’s program will feature bi-weekly check-ins for mentees and mentors; bi-monthly meetups to foster networking amongst mentees and mentors, and study sessions that will be led by a subject matter expert of the Certified Associate of Project Management (CAPM) or Project Management Professional (PMP) exam.
Mentees will be assigned to a portfolio within the Canadian West Coast Chapter to gain volunteering experience and exposure to Chapter activities. Mentors can earn PDUs while mentoring.
The 2023 cohort will run between June 2023 and November 2023. We will be accepting mentee and mentor applications starting March 20, 2023 until April 30, 2023.
Here are the major events that we have planned for this year:
- June 5, 2023 (05:30 – 7:30 PM) - Orientation & Icebreaker (In-person)
- June 19, 2023 (05:30 – 7:30 PM) - Goal Setting Session and Understanding the Value of a Mentee/Mentor Relationship (Virtual)
- Week of July 3, 2023 (Date and Time TBC) - Start of Study Sessions
- August 10, 2023 (05:30 – 7:30 PM) - Cohort Dinner
- September 2023 (Date and Time TBC) - PMI Dinner Event
- Week of September 18, 2023 - End of Study Sessions
- October 8, 2023 (10:00 – 12:00 PM) - Mock Exams
- November 6, 2023 (5:30 – 7:30 PM) - PMAP Completion Celebration
What does the program provide?
1. Get a Mentor
Wise words and war stories are needed to bridge the gap from theory to practice. Mentees will meet twice a month with their mentors throughout the program to expand their knowledge base in the field of project management.
2. Get Involved
To become part of the PM community, one must actively give back. PMAP students will be working with the PMI CWCC portfolios to gain project management experience while receiving guidance from their mentors.
3. Get Noticed
Mentees will be given exclusive access to PMI monthly dinners and professional conferences. These events will be an ideal opportunity for participants to build their network, be exposed to various job opportunities, and become educated on important issues through TED Talk-style presentations.
4. Get Certified
PMAP provides its mentees with the opportunity to be CAPM or PMP certified - highly valued accreditations that provide an edge in the job market. Weekly study sessions to help you prepare for the exams, run from the beginning of June to the end of September. Each week, our CAPM or PMP Exam Preparation Lead will go through select PMBOK topics and provide tips and tricks to help you pass the exam!
Mentees will be reimbursed CAPM or PMP exam fees subject to passing.
What does the program provide for mentors?
PMAP is a rewarding experience where you give back to the project management community by mentoring a PM-focused student. Give wise words and war stories to bridge the gap from theory to practice. While you mentor, you can also earn up to 12 PDUs on all three pillars of the PMI Talent Triangle.
What you earn will be subject to the number of hours you meet up with your mentee and the dialogue’s topic.
What are the requirements to join the program?
|Certified Associate of Project Management (CAPM)||Project Management Professional (PMP)|
|Be currently enrolled or just graduated from in a post-secondary institution. We welcome both part-time and full-time students; and||Have achieved a four-year degree with 36 months of experience over the last eight years supplemented by35 hours of project management education or training or the CAPM certification; or|
|Be currently enrolled in a project management course or have recently completed a project management course that’s at least 23-hours in length||Have achieved a high school diploma or Associates degree with 60 months of experience over the last eight years supplemented by 35 hours of project management education or training, or the CAPM certification.|
3. Be available to commit 10 to 20 hours a month (2.5 to 5 hours a week) between June 2023 and November 2023
4. Be a member of PMI and PMI CWCC
5. Tell us a bit about yourself through our application form – we want to get to know you better so we can pair you with your ideal mentor
- Be currently enrolled or just graduated from a post-secondary institution. We welcome both part-time and full-time students.
- Be currently enrolled in a project management course or have recently completed a project management course that’s at least 23 hours in length
- Be available to commit 10 to 20 hours a month (2.5 to 5 hours a week) between July 2022 and December 2022
- Be a student member of PMI and PMI CWCC
- Tell us a bit about yourself through our application form – we want to get to know you better so we can pair you with your ideal mentor
1. Be a certified PMP, PfMP, PgMP, PMI-PBA, PMI-ACP, PMI-SP, or PMI-RMP; or have three years of project experience under your belt
2. Be available to commit 2.5 hours a month between June 2023 and November 2023
3. Be willing to share your project experiences – the successes and the pitfalls
4. Tell us a bit about yourself through our application form – we want to get to know you better so we can pair you with your ideal mentee
Please be advised that a maximum of 10 mentees and 10 mentors will be accepted for the 2023 cohort to ensure a quality program.
Please be advised that a maximum of 8 mentees and 8 mentors will be accepted for the 2022 cohort to ensure a quality program.
Alain Arostique, Director
Alain graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering Degree and holds a Graduate Certificate in Project Management (for Technical Professionals) from Ryerson University, Toronto. He has been working in the Project Management field for more than 12 years as a Project Manager and a certified Project Management Professional (PMP). Alain, who’s also a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Professional and LEED Green Associate is currently working as part of the Project Management team in one of Vancouver’s leading construction firms.
Divya Malik, Director
Divya is a Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) with 11 years of working experience in Project Management for Finance, Insurance & Visa Services Industry and has completed Masters in Finance. Divya is currently working as a Project Manager with VFS Global, manages a team of 9 and provides support across several business lines. Divya serves as one of the mentors in PMAP’s 2019 program.
Melody Lee, Director of PMAP
Melody graduated from the University of Victoria with a Bachelor of Business degree specializing in service management. She was previously in the hospitality and tourism industry and has since pivoted her career path to project management. Melody participated in the Project Management
Apprenticeship Program (PMAP) in 2021 as a mentee and completed the program with CAPM Certification on hand. She currently works as a Junior Project Manager at Chase Office Interiors.
Brad Monette, Director of PMAP
Bradley joined the Canadian West Coast Chapter of the PMI as a mentee in the 2021 cohort of the Project Management Apprenticeship Program. In addition to completing the program with his Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) certification, he is set to receive his BBA in Business Management with a Project Management concentration from Douglas College at the end of April. Bradley has over 10 years of experience in various roles spanning several industries including insurance, transportation, and corporate services. Bradley loves sports and regularly plays hockey, softball and golf. His deep passion for hockey led him to volunteer as a coach for youth hockey programs based out of West Vancouver, North Vancouver, and Burnaby.
Saad Abdelkader, Director of PMAP
Saad is a senior project manager with international and diverse background delivering infrastructure and integrated business automation solutions to tier1 CSPs globally. Saad also have previous volunteering experience working with new comers helping them to kick off their career in Canada. On the personal level, he enjoys boating, fishing and camping.
How do I apply to become a mentee or mentor?
Applications are now open until June 15, 2022! Students, click here to become a mentee.
PM Professionals, click here to become a mentor.
If you have any questions regarding the program, you can contact the PMAP Directors at email@example.com